Forum Home Forum Home > Forums > Spurs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spurs vs West Brom 10am Sat Nov 25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spurs vs West Brom 10am Sat Nov 25
    Posted: Nov 25 2017 at 7:21am
NYSpurs split squad day. Some attending NBC's fan fest at South Street Seaport and the rest at Flannery's. Toby and Wanyama still out, may we see a Lamela sighting? Apparently no Nacer Chadli reunion today but Livermore expected to feature for the Baggies.  COYS
LosAngelesYiddo View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LosAngelesYiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2017 at 11:58am
fucking just dreadful dele. 
"an echo of glory" -bill nicholson "an echo of optimism" -daniel levy
samd View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2017 at 3:31pm
Maybe Poch wants the players to focus only on the Champs League this year, who cares about the prem title anyway   
Jenks View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2017 at 4:40pm
Its about time that most of you need to stop believing in the hype. We've been punching above our weight for a long time. Poch has done a marvellous job in developing young talent to make us competitive but he's not the new messiah. He can't come up with tactics to win away in the big games but neither can Mourinho these days. We don't have the pace to exploit the defensive teams that come to Wembley right now. Its a case of pound and pound and hope something happens but so often it doesn't. Its not like we're doing a lot wrong, its just that we're not quite good enough on a consistent basis. Playing at Wembley for a season made me think that we wont even finish top 6 this season, so I'm not that dissatisfied right now.
Spurs and Jets for 30+ years has really taken its toll!   
rob_k View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2017 at 6:50pm
We looked very much like a tired team this weekend, which shouldn't surprise us given injuries and lack of depth, esp. coming off Real, 30K miles (or was it km?) in international travel, the NLD, and Dortmund. Eriksen was a full step off his game. Even Sanchez was beat early and pushed off a ball.Having no Wanyama, no Toby, limited Dembele - all crucial players in the past couple of ascendant seasons - is taking its toll, as is our having added no speed whatsoever to our attack this summer. Add to this whatever Rose's situation is.

Our point total is on par with last season's, but that's apples and oranges. The five rich clubs all made significant positional upgrades. We didn't, aside from Sanchez, which upgraded arguably our deepest position. Most annoying is the crosstown team not just holding onto their best player but improving at the striker position despite falling down to the EL. We return to CL and lose one PL XI fullback and seem to be on the verge of losing the other. (Walker for Sanchez and Aurier has been a great bit of business, mostly because of Sanchez right now, but it's helped thrust a rival with defensive deficiencies into the top spot.) We're not going to complete for the league - OR for a domestic cup - if we have nothing behind Kane and Eriksen.

And I don't know what to think about our spending policy. Does Levy have money to spend and simply holds firm in not doing so, or are we maxed out because of the stadium situation and such? I saw one in-the-weeds analysis of our total revenue and expenses, but it went over my head. I just know that competing in the CL while having net transfer spending akin to Swansea is not sustainable.

LosAngelesYiddo View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LosAngelesYiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2017 at 11:01pm
we are a player or two away for the third season on the trot most likely. fourth would be a success even with a quick cl+fa exit, it's crucial for the new stadium. 

well, we've got one of the best in the world, saying he wants to be tottenham for life, and that new south stand looking just fine. that's something. 
"an echo of glory" -bill nicholson "an echo of optimism" -daniel levy
rob_k View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by LosAngelesYiddo LosAngelesYiddo wrote:

we are a player or two away for the third season on the trot most likely. fourth would be a success even with a quick cl+fa exit, it's crucial for the new stadium. 

well, we've got one of the best in the world, saying he wants to be tottenham for life, and that new south stand looking just fine. that's something. 

We've been a player or two from the title last two seasons, but we've fallen back to the pack by virtue of what the other clubs around us have done, and I fear we might now be a player away from CL. We were very naïve to not bring in any strong attacking reinforcements. Llorente makes me miss Janssen. The one noted improvement we made was Sanchez, but that gain has been nullified for the time being - and sounds like into next year - by Toby's absence. We're 4 points off last season's pace, and we could easily be down to 6th and 4 points out of Top 4 by end of tomorrow. We needed more for this pivotal season, as I could see 3-4 key players wanting to leave if we lose our CL spot next season.

The one bright spot today was Lamela's return. Isn't it amazing what having an option off the bench can do? Instant goal. But he can't stay on the bench, and we can't keep starting matches with Sissoko.

We're hearing a lot about Barkley for the next window, but the way you hear Everton supporters talk about him, it reminds me a bit of what Newcastle supporters said about Sissoko on his way out.

samd View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2017 at 5:38pm
We have hit the perfect storm:
- best players are out of form, fatigued, injured
- backups are simply crap
- "home" stadium is simply unsuitable
- playing style has been figured out by all opposition
- manager has perhaps reached his own limitations

All grand ambitions have gone out the window already for the season, the gap between us and the elite English teams is back to what it used to be...all that remains to be seen is what can we possibly salvage from here?
Jenks View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2017 at 4:38am
I really hope that points 2,4 and 5 turn out to be wide of the mark but it is a valid post and a frightening possibility.

I think you can add that the players are struggling to adjust from the highs of playing RM and Dortmund to the run of the mill EPL games
Spurs and Jets for 30+ years has really taken its toll!   
samd View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2017 at 11:54am
Unfortunately as evidenced again today...all points are on the mark.

False dawn #1021
rob_k View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2017 at 3:53pm
We're missing Toby and Wanyama and playing our home matches not at home.

This team with T & W & and Lamela worked back in and - dare we believe it will happen - support for Eriksen brought in this January will make a run at Top 4.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic