NYSpurs.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forums > Spurs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Last Match at White Hart Lane, 14 May, 11:30am
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Last Match at White Hart Lane, 14 May, 11:30am

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Last Match at White Hart Lane, 14 May, 11:30am
    Posted: May 10 2017 at 10:56am
The day is here. The day to send off our glorious home with one more win. 

Let this be the place to share memories of our ground.

COYS
the only reason you're alive is because it's illegal to kill you.
seppoyiddo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 4:46pm
kleptopaul View Drop Down
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kleptopaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 9:58am
Ken: Purgatory... what's that?

Ray: Purgatory's kind of like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really shit, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham.
BaltimoreSpurs View Drop Down
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaltimoreSpurs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by kleptopaul kleptopaul wrote:

This is really good: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39891527

Thanks for sharing.  It's been fun learning about the stadium.  Was the Shelf Side all standing or were the only standing parts of the stadium behind the goals?  I can't really tell from the picture embedded in the article.

Watching highlights of goals from when standing was allowed is quite a scene for me.  It looks like an uncontrollable mass of people moving in waves.
Fellmongers View Drop Down
Reserves
Reserves

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fellmongers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:14pm
The Shelf used to be seating in the upper tier and standing in the 2 lower tiers. Behind the goals used to be all standing until the early 1960's, when seating was introduced to the upper parts. From memory this started in 1961 or 1962. Before the new west stand was built, 1983, there used to be standing in the lower area of the old west stand as well.
I am going to miss the old place, but we need a bigger ground in order to compete with our rivals financially. COYS!! 

Up the Spurs
LosAngelesYiddo View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LosAngelesYiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 2:21pm
anyone have any info about tv coverage stateside? how much coverage all the ceremonies and presentations will get?

also i fucking love christian eriksen. 
"an echo of glory" -bill nicholson "an echo of optimism" -daniel levy
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 3:16pm
NBC may or may not cover the WHL events live, and may only show them on the NBC sports app and online. Sky is covering in the UK and Eire, have heard people say the THFC website will stream it, but haven't seen it confirmed.
Flannery's will have a Sky feed in case NBC lets us down for a change.
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaltimoreSpurs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 3:52pm
NBC is definitely streaming them - I didn't get the impression that they were sticking around after the match on their main network.

If Chelsea don't win today, I really really hope that we win tomorrow Sunday because I would hate for the final match at the Lane to be tainted with having confirmed the title to Chelsea.

Not sure if anyone here is a Mets fan, but the last game at Shea was horribly tainted by losing out on the playoffs in the last game of the season.  I'd prefer to avoid that happening again.
nycavri View Drop Down
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycavri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 5:08pm
No distractions now on Sunday - just sending the old girl off undefeated.  #COYS
"Mabbutt, fed it well, Nayim to the left, Samways up ahead and Lineker uses him by not using him ..."
TottenhamUSA View Drop Down
Reserves
Reserves

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TottenhamUSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 8:13am
Anyone else attending today?
..and our General's Burkinshaw!
rob_k View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 8:40pm
No one, no other club, will ever close down their stadium with an undefeated home season, a film narrated by Kenneth Branagh, and an opera singer. And a freaking rainbow. Perfect. Magic.
jet4444 View Drop Down
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jet4444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 8:54am
Clap

JET
Frank...is a very sick and dangerous man.
Park Slope Yid2 View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Slope Yid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 10:26am
Yeah ... that rainbow was really special.   
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by rob_k rob_k wrote:

No one, no other club, will ever close down their stadium with an undefeated home season, a film narrated by Kenneth Branagh, and an opera singer. And a freaking rainbow. Perfect. Magic.

Two of many moments where I struggled to deal with things caught in my eye. Cliff Jones at 82 running out onto the pitch for the last time, and Harry surrounded by fans...schoolgirl stuff from me.

M.K. View Drop Down
Academy
Academy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 12:29pm
Interesting claim made in F365's 16 conclusions:

"Alderweireld is one of the Premier League’s finest defenders, but those who deem him to have had a better season than Jan Vertonghen ought to have watched the partnership more closely."

http://www.football365.com/news/tottenham-2-1-manchester-united-16-conclusions

Wasn't too long ago Jan was deemed the weak link and Wimmer the preferred choice. That's the first time I've seen it posited that he's outperformed Toby.

Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Slope Yid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 1:36pm
Vertonghen has had a very good season.  Remember the pouty guy of a couple of seasons back?  
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaltimoreSpurs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Park Slope Yid2 Park Slope Yid2 wrote:

Vertonghen has had a very good season.  Remember the pouty guy of a couple of seasons back?  

Aside from that very bizarre season, he's been a super player for us since he's come on board.  His positioning is excellent and strength on the ball (plus his ability to work with the ball at his feet) are real strengths that help allow Poch to implement the back 3 when he wants.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 1:48pm
Jan and Toby are such an excellent pair, with Jan maybe the better playmaker and Toby more physically imposing. A fantastic complement that will not be easily replaced if a big club offers Toby 200 grand a week -- as it's doubtful that he can be replaced at any price heading into next season. Along with Hugo and Wanyama, their fortitude provides the basis for all of our confidence in attack. Levy has to find the money to pay them what they're worth.
Noahspurs View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noahspurs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 3:12pm
Add to that list. Not only is he a "presence", but also his versatility is huge for Poch, switching from 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-3
"...and still Ricky Villa..."
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Slope Yid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by seppoyiddo seppoyiddo wrote:

Jan and Toby are such an excellent pair, with Jan maybe the better playmaker and Toby more physically imposing. A fantastic complement that will not be easily replaced if a big club offers Toby 200 grand a week -- as it's doubtful that he can be replaced at any price heading into next season. Along with Hugo and Wanyama, their fortitude provides the basis for all of our confidence in attack. Levy has to find the money to pay them what they're worth.

Commentary for Sunday's game said a new contract is actively being worked on.  Toby wants (and of course deserves) what Hugo and Harry make.   

Lets not include or talk about that Moussa bloke.
rob_k View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by seppoyiddo seppoyiddo wrote:

Originally posted by rob_k rob_k wrote:

Two of many moments where I struggled to deal with things caught in my eye. Cliff Jones at 82 running out onto the pitch for the last time, and Harry surrounded by fans...schoolgirl stuff from me.

What a brilliant photo. The shimmer of twilight, the echo of glory.

I hope they release a recording of that operatic version of "Glory, Glory..." Geezus.

Speaking of which, I've been playing that 28 Spurs Classics CD I got at the Christmas Party a few years back and apparently it's rubbed off because, no joke, my two-year-old broke out into a medley of "Glory Glory" and "Ossie's Dream" Sunday evening. That was the capper.

Also, I'm pretty sure David Ginola is the Most Interesting Man in the World.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 9:12am

[/QUOTE]

What a brilliant photo. The shimmer of twilight, the echo of glory.

I hope they release a recording of that operatic version of "Glory, Glory..." Geezus.

Speaking of which, I've been playing that 28 Spurs Classics CD I got at the Christmas Party a few years back and apparently it's rubbed off because, no joke, my two-year-old broke out into a medley of "Glory Glory" and "Ossie's Dream" Sunday evening. That was the capper.

Also, I'm pretty sure David Ginola is the Most Interesting Man in the World.

[/QUOTE]

When we had the charity auction last season and THFC asked what they could donate, I asked for a lock of Ginola's hair. Needless to say, we were able to donate a mansion and a yacht from the proceeds. Cool
kleptopaul View Drop Down
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kleptopaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by LosAngelesYiddo LosAngelesYiddo wrote:

anyone have any info about tv coverage stateside? how much coverage all the ceremonies and presentations will get?

also i fucking love christian eriksen. 

Quite the 180 from last fall, LA! Glad to hear it, though. 
Ken: Purgatory... what's that?

Ray: Purgatory's kind of like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really shit, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic